Monday, March 31, 2008

Where does all the time go?

I can't believe I've started a second blog. Obviously still living in an imaginary world, where I have all the time I need to do everything I want to do, in addition to all those things that just plain need doing. Some irrational part of me believes that I can force myself into greater efficiency if I've less free time. I did finally get my car washed last week, and the irrigation system mostly up to snuff, except for the part on drip lines.

I thought I'd be saving money and work time by installing drip to replace some of the overhead watering on one of the slopes, but that hasn't been the case. The drip hoses don't stay in place well on the slope, but I very much doubt that has anything to do with the dogs running through and over everything. Or the gophers burying the emitters. Or Shae chewing through the lines while trying to dig the gophers out. At any rate, the lovely and well spaced winter rains seem to be over, so the irrigation system needs to function. I thought I'd get it done today, but decided to go photograph the wildflowers on the hill instead. Soon most of the bloom will be over, and I know I'd regret not getting out to see what is blooming.

The area north of the house burned maybe 4 or 5 years before the house was built, and while there is plenty of scrub, it looks like toyon and some other shrubs are just finally getting some size, over 10 years later. There's another shrub I don't recognize, I've got to look it up. OK, Coffeeberry or Rhamnus californica. Anyway, it was a lovely walk. Shae and I startled a deer, she looked very well fed. I didn't get any pictures of the doe, but will post some of the wildflower ones. Some of the flowers are so small, tiny little purple blossoms, multitudes of different little yellow ones, I wonder if I'll ever learn all their names?

No comments: